Sunday, April 19, 2009

Youth Orchestra



















Here I am in a new city where I know virtually no one yet. Friday I was looking online at what events there might be to go to. I saw a listing for a free symphony at Florida Southern Collage, so I went. It was the Polk County Schools All County Orchestra Festival and these kids in grades 7-12 put on an extremely impressive performance. Polk County Schools have in fact garnered national recognition including a prestigious Kennedy Center Award for their arts programs. After attending this concert I can easily understand why.

As I was looking at moving to Lakeland I had some people asking why I'd what to move from where I was to Lakeland, implying that it was a step backwards. I am finding it anything but. It is a very friendly smaller city with many beautiful areas, it has an ideal location between two major cities (Tampa and Orlando) and maintains it's own great sense of place with a delightful downtown area, rolling hills, lakes, a fantastic park system, an active small collage scene, and a flourishing arts culture. I am very glad that I made the move and recommend Lakeland to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment